The holidays are full of merriment and good cheer! While holiday decorations are festive they can also be dangerous. Stay safe this holiday season with these holiday home safety tips!
In the kitchen.
- Always watch the stove! Keep an eye on your food when cooking or baking.
- Keep flammable items away from heat sources.
- Never leave an open flame unattended.
- Make sure your smoke detectors are in proper working order. They should be checked regularly!
- Clean your chimneys annually.
- Keep a three-foot perimeter around heat sources.
- Clean any ash and soot from the fireplace after use.
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy.
- Check your lights and extension cords for any loose, exposed, or frayed wire. If you notice any damage, don’t use them!
- Use LED lights! They don’t get quite as hot.
- Only use indoor lights inside and outdoor lights outside.
- Never string more than three strands of lights together. Any more could blow a fuse.
- Use lights that have been tested by a national lab. They’ve been approved for safety.
- Unplug lights when you’re not around.
- Keep your tree hydrated! A dry tree is a major fire hazard.
- Make sure your tree stays away from heat sources.
- Put your tree in a corner, away from any walkways.
- Don’t put lights on metallic trees! They increase risk of electrocution.
- Don’t advertise that you’re going out of town.
- Have a trusted friend or neighbor pick up your mail and newspapers.
The Omni Group would like to wish you and your family a safe and happy holiday season! Located in Orange County, California The Omni Group serves all your real estate needs in southern California. Contact us for more information.